Friday, November 14, 2008

After a long while, I tried to start SQL Server in my home laptop.  It throws the following error message in the event log:

The file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.

When I opened the files in my $$SQL SERVER$$\DATA folder, all are getting compressed.  It might be by Disk Cleanup utility.  I just let the tool to compress old items.  Huh!

I disabled the compress mode of these files by select all files -> righ-click -> Properties -> Advanced -> deselect Compress contents to save disk space.

After that I started SQL Server, it was started well.

3 comments:

Mark McDonald said...

out of all the internet - you were the only post on this issue! Thanks! It help!

Mark McDonald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
udooz said...

welcome mark